Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Advice & Help - Linux Server 14TB

2012-04-12 19:53:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Advice & Help - Linux Server 14TB
From: JCrowe AT marketforce.com DOT au
To: "Simon Weaver" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 07:53:20 +0800
I don't (necessarily) see a problem here.  My file system is some 16TB large, it is mostly just a standard file system, but it also has an area dedicated to a MySQL database - our 8TB synthetic only backs-up part of this filesystem, ignoring the MySQL database folders and some other, non-important folders.

Depending on how your volume/s are configured, there's nothing stopping you configuring a synthetic backup that incorporates only those root level (or even deeper) folders/directories that you want to backup this way and ignoring the rest.

Of course I don't know your volume folder structure but its certainly possible (we do it), and its very efficient.  And you can then have a separate backup for your Oracle db; indeed you could have a couple or more synthetics if there's a natural way to break it up.

PS  If your Oracle dba/s would/can configure the database to backup to file/s then you don't have to worry about shutting down the database, and you can incorporate the files in your synthetic backup scheduling.  We don't backup our MySQL database at all, but the backups to file are.