Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Issues With Drives with SSO across multiple servers

2012-03-12 05:49:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Issues With Drives with SSO across multiple servers
From: "Simon Weaver" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:49:00 -0000
All
I seem to have a very strange problem, and wonder if you can advise.

We had a tape drive changed and the serial number was updated, by running Device Config Wizard across all servers.
This has worked fine, but I have now found a strange problem.

We have had a few status 86's and 84's - claiming there is a CRC as per example below..

12/03/2012 03:14:44 - Warning bptm(pid=7700) cannot locate on drive index 1, Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
12/03/2012 03:34:52 - Error bptm(pid=7700) ioctl (MTREW) failed on media id X111L4, drive index 1, The I/O bus was reset. (1111) (bptm.c.7322)
12/03/2012 03:34:53 - end writing

What worries me a little, is in Activity Monitor it shows 14 drives. But it looks like the index numbers are shot, as they are different across multiple media servers.
Also, from Activity Monitor, if you hovvered your mouse over the drives it would show an address like "HP-ULTRIUM.000" and then "HP-ULTRIUM.001" and so on until it gets to number 013. But the drive numbers are all mixed and all over the place!

Any ideas on how to correct this?
Simon