Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] New backup

2012-01-24 14:30:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] New backup
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: "Shields, Matthew" <Matthew.Shields AT td DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:30:29 -0500
Read about "calendar" and "frequency" schedules.  Determine which you have or want.

I much prefer calendar schedules and my "full" backups have "retry after run day" set.  I have a "full" start window on every day and my calendar schedule has a check for one day each week, often Saturday.

My "Incremental" backups have the same start windows and every day of the calendar month is checked for a backup.

With this setup, I get an incremental backup every day, except for the full backup day. In addition, if a full backup fails, the next day will be a full backup day ... in fact full backups until one completes.

Sorry, but I can't answer your direct question as it is uninteresting for me ... I always start a (full) backup once configured to make sure it works.  This gives me the earliest backup, time to work around problems such as firewalls, and with modern machines and networks, only a minor hit on performance ... and on new machines, people generally aren't using it yet for production or don't have expectations set from experience!

Cheers, Wayne