Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] MISSING PATH for tape devices in RHEL5 for NetBackup 7.1

2012-01-12 14:12:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] MISSING PATH for tape devices in RHEL5 for NetBackup 7.1
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:12:51 +0000
The full lsscsi output shows disks etc... so I've stripped it to only show the
tape stuff:
lsscsi |egrep -i "quantum|tape|hp|st"
[0:0:2:0]    storage QUANTUM  Scalar i2000     5A87  -
[0:0:2:1]    tape    HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI   M69Z  /dev/st0
[0:0:2:2]    tape    HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI   M69Z  /dev/st1
[0:0:2:3]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st2
[0:0:2:4]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st3
[0:0:3:0]    storage QUANTUM  Scalar i2000     5A87  -
[0:0:3:1]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st4
[0:0:3:2]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st5
[0:0:3:3]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st6
[0:0:3:4]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st7
[1:0:1:73]   disk    HITACHI  OPEN-V           7002  /dev/sdhp
[1:0:2:0]    storage QUANTUM  Scalar i2000     5A87  -
[1:0:2:1]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st8
[1:0:2:2]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st9
[1:0:2:3]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st10
[1:0:2:4]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   I3AZ  /dev/st11

Thanks for suggesting lsscsi - I'd forgotten about it.   The nice thing about
that is it equates the path seen in /proc/scsi/scsi to the device path in /dev.

Running an mt -f /dev/nst0 status on this host gives an I/O error
mt -f /dev/nst0 status
/dev/nst0: Input/output error

Whereas on another media server just like the above the output is different:
mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
 DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN