Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup (Virtualized Master & Media Servers)

2011-12-18 05:35:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup (Virtualized Master & Media Servers)
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: Brian_Thomas AT playstation.sony DOT com
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:34:26 +1100
Oh, and I forgot to say that the virtualised master server doesn't do ANY backups, other than it's own catalog backups.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
We recently faced this question when designing a brand new data centre. We decided there was not much point in virtualising the media servers, since they are just I/O machines and will probably (hopefully) saturate SOME part of the infrastructure they're running on, be it inbound network, outband I/O to disk/tape, or the bus on the server's motherboard. The ONLY physical (non-virtualised) servers in this new data centre are our NBU media servers.

The NBU master however is virtual, and we recently did a site fail-over test of the master using VMware SRM, and it worked just fine. (Cisco UCS, VMware 4.1, NBU 7.1, RHEL6)

As another data point, I just completed vSphere 5 training this week, and the very knowledgeable instructor said "These days, the only thing that obviously shouldn't be virtualised is backup servers".

Cheers
Dean