Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Multipath question

2011-12-07 11:04:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Multipath question
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:03:46 +0000
Hi Justin,

The IBM 3500 includes the function to allow you define multiple logical
libraries. Each gets a virtual view of the handbot. We do not have the HA
library feature, but my understanding is that if you have one or two handbots
it does not change the view your backup server sees for the logical library.

They do have two extra cost features which do come into play.

The first called ALMS enhances what you can do with the logical libraries. With
this feature the tape drives assigned to a logical library do not have to be in
one contiguous block in the library. It also virtualizes the assignment of
logical slots to physical slots. It also gives you up to 255 virtual i/o slots
per logical library.
This feature is a requirement for more and more other features. For example the
new extended library cards which are a requirement for lto-5 tape drives.

The virtual library control path is a different lun number for fibre cables. So
the drives are defined using lun 0 and the virtual library control is lun 1. By
default you can only have one control path in use for a logical library. With
the control path failover option you can define multiple control path drives.
But you must use IBM's tape driver for this support.
As the paths are handled within  the library firmware and the driver software,
Netbackup knows nothing of the multiple paths.

There is also an optional  feature to support multiple data paths into a tape
drive. This requires the newer lto tape drives or the mainframe tape drives as
you have to have two fibre ports on the tape drive. This also requires the IBM
tape driver. Netbackup does not know that this feature is in use.

You can have many more then 8 logical libraries.