Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 and Exchange 2007 integration

2011-12-05 12:49:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 and Exchange 2007 integration
From: Lynne Seamans <Lynne.Seamans AT millersville DOT edu>
To: "'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:49:14 -0500

Hi to all.

   We’re a brand new NetBackup site.. converting from another backup solution entirely.

    Basic stuff going well, got windows, solaris, HP-UX, linux clients all happily backing up.

   Now on to the “harder” stuff!  We are currently running Exchange 2007, so I started reading the “NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator’s Guide” and my eyes kind of glazed over.

  It seems to me there are like 4 different kinds of backups for Exchange..  that GRT (Granular Recovery) that seems to need NFS for windows (UGH), snapshot backups, Instant Recovery backups, and MAPI backups.   Is there a document that succinctly explains these and the differences?  What method of backup for Exchange do most NetBackup installations employ?

Lynne

Lynne Seamans

Systems Support Manager

Millersville University