Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restores from Cumulative incremental backups

2011-11-02 23:02:37
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restores from Cumulative incremental backups
From: Jim VandeVegt <Jim.Vandevegt AT physiciansmutual DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 22:02:27 -0500
I don't quite understand the wording of your question, but maybe my explanation
will help.

A cumulative incremental in NetBackup will take a copy of any file that was
created or modified since the last full backup. That TIR adds is knowledge of
what files were deleted in that same time frame. Or to say it in a different
way, what files are on the full backup that are no longer on the file system at
the point the cumulative incremental was run.

When a restore of an incremental is executed with TIR in play, deleted files
are not restored. Hence it is a 'truer' picture of exactly how the file system
looked on a particular incremental backup.

I suspect you have something like this going on:
Full backup: 1000 files backed up.
Time passes, 200 of those are deleted, 200 different files are created.
Cumulative Inc: 200 files backed up.

You restore with a time period that includes the cumulative and without TIR,
and you get 1200 files, and possibly a disk full. You restore the same with
TIR, and you get 1000 files.
Jim VandeVegt | Technical Integrator, ETG
Physicians Mutual | 2600 Dodge Street | Omaha, NE 68131
402.930.2649 | PhysiciansMutual.com | Jim.VandeVegt AT PhysiciansMutual DOT com

Insurance for all of us.™
health | life | retirement