Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP in Practice

2011-11-01 11:29:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP in Practice
From: rhugga <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:29:26 -0700
I worked around this problem by running scripts against each filer and
comparing this to the include/exclude list for each policy. I was in an
environment with over 200 netapp filers and this was a constant problem.

Also you don't want to use exportfs to glean a list of what to back up (this
shouldn't work anyways if its an NDMP policy), you want to use "vol status" or
something similar. (Ideally you should get the perl API so you can interface
with the Netapp OS in a robust, enterprise grade manner)
So I use the perl API to glean a list of volumes and then make sure each is
present in either the exclude or include list. If not, it adds it to the
include list and then sends out an email alert.

Even if ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES worked (actually I think this directive did work for
NDMP policies in some version along the way) you probably wouldn't want to use
it.