Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Ops Center

2011-10-05 19:07:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Ops Center
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: veritas-bu <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 23:04:53 +0000
My VM that had our test OpsCenter vapourised but it was fine while it was
available, certainly not obviously worse than NOM.  What we did do was the
tuning documented in the NOM guides to set the DB cache a bit bigger - there is
a section that is basically Sybase tuning.

I admit that it was only watching a couple of very small test lab Masters.  We
still use NOM in production because it is not easy to upgrade - nothing to do
with the product, just 'process'.

I think the best advice I can think of would be to be generous with the server
specification and bear in mind that it is a database server (assuming you do it
all on one server, which is not strictly required).  So if your OpsCenter
server does not look like your SQL*Server servers... do not want a lot of
paging.

It relies heavily on TCP communication and polling, so is your DNS quick?  Do
you have long lists in domain search lists?   I'm not sure if nbdna works on
all platforms but it does have the ability to see how quick name resolution is.
 Slow DNS lookups multiplied by lots of servers will hurt.  Hosts files are
dangerous but can help speed many NBU things up.

William D L Brown