Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] exclude_list - exclude core file but not core directory

2011-08-28 20:31:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] exclude_list - exclude core file but not core directory
From: David Rock <david AT graniteweb DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:31:28 -0500
Hello,

I'm dealing with exclude_list for the umteenth time, and stumbled into a
classic problem.

The examples in the docs have always shown excluding "core", which
excludes all core files AND core directories.  Because of how you define
things, it is possible to exclude just directories by appending / (e.g.,
core/), but there is no corresponding way that I can find to exclude
ONLY files named core.

I can more or less accomplish what I need to by using an include_list
that contains "core/", but this will obviously add processing overhead
because it's going to build the initial list, drop excluded stuff, then
directories named "core".  I especially don't want the include list to
have also excluded.

For example:
exclude_list:
core
/dev
/sys
/mnt/auto
/var/mqm/
/u[0-9]*/

If I have an include_list that looks like this:
core/

It will pick up any directories named core under:
/dev
/sys
/mnt/auto
/var/mqm/
/u[0-9]*/

Which I do NOT want it to do.

Does anyone know if it's possible to define JUST files named core in the
exclude_list, so that an include_list is not necessary?  If an
include_list is the only way to do it, is it possible to avoid the
re-adding under the directories I _do_ want to exclude?

Thanks.

--
David Rock
dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com