Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recovering W2k8 servers with EFI partition

2011-08-23 11:26:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recovering W2k8 servers with EFI partition
From: Jack.Forester AT mylan DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:26:23 -0400
We've been wrestling with recoveries of Windows 2k8 servers that have EFI
partitions.  We are finally able to back them up, but we are unable to
perform a full recovery.  We're using nearly identical hardware for the
recovery server and the restores all complete, but the server won't boot
afterwards.  We've followed the instructions in the technote for recovering
Windows 2008 servers without BMR, but no dice.

The client is at NBU 6.5.6 with the EEB installed to allow it to back up
the EFI partition.  We've run 'w2koption -backup -efi_boot_enabled 1' on
the client, and we get status 0 backups for all streams for the client.

Does anyone have any experience with performing system recoveries of this
type?  We routinely do test recoveries of other servers, but the ones with
EFI have us scratching our heads.  Is it possible to do a physical to
virtual restore of a server with an EFI partition?  My gut tells me that
the answer to that question is "no".
--
Jack Forester, Jr.
Sr. Data Protection Administrator

jack.forester AT mylan DOT com

Phone: +1.304.554.6039
Cell: +1.412.805.5313

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted
with it may contain legally privileged, proprietary and/or confidential
information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution, duplication or other use of this message and/or its attachments
is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and
its attachments.  Thank you.