Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Email from NetBackup 7.1

2011-08-09 11:33:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Email from NetBackup 7.1
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:33:25 +0000

Has anyone seen an issue wherein notification emails from NetBackup are coming from their real user account rather than their effective user (root) account?  If so is there a fix?

DETAILS:

Yesterday I needed to restart NetBackup on my RHEL6 master.

Overnight I saw it sending notification emails about completed backups using my ID on that host as the sender rather than root’s ID as it normally does.

I had recently created myself a login account on the server and had done “sudo su –“ to become root yesterday to do the restart of NetBackup.  It appears the notifications were somehow generated based on my real login rather than the effective ID (root) I had when I switched users to root.    Looking at processes today I verified they all are running as root and there are none running under my real login.   Has anyone seen this issue with email?

When I logged into the GUI I did it as the root user so that doesn’t play into this.

Please don’t tell me to test by stopping and restarting NetBackup after doing a direct login as root as opposed to su.  I’m smart enough to figure out that would likely work.  I’m more interested in why it would be using my real ID rather than effective ID in the first place.   On our 6.5 master I never saw this issue and I always did the su to root there.