Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Advice on HPUX 11.11

2011-06-30 03:35:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Advice on HPUX 11.11
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:35:14 +0100
Jeff
Yes, its being done over the LAN - No tape drives attached, which is why I am quite worried about this. Using Data Protector, INCR takes less than 1 hour... NetBackup took almost 5!!!
This is a legacy box, and it is due to be changed in the end of year, but right now, its got to be migrated over. The client is 6.5 at the moment.
DP not doing any DeDup - simple file level back up!
Yes compared incr backups... both show same amounts of data .... jus tNBU is slower.

Does not make sense. One thing I noticed in the logs (even though it ends in status 0) are the following events in Activity Monitor...

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/sock.104.19241 is a socket special file. Skipping.

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/.AgentSockets/A is a socket special file. Skipping.

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/.oracle/sKEYTOBID is a socket special file. Skipping.

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/.oracle/s#7532.1 is a socket special file. Skipping.

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/.oracle/s#1859.1 is a socket special file. Skipping.

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/.oracle/s#7799.1 is a socket special file. Skipping.

30/06/2011 02:02:30 - Info bpbrm(pid=9552) from client SERVER: TRV - /tmp/.oracle/sEXT920 is a socket special file. Skipping.

The name SERVER has been replaced. But there are many events like these loaded. Because I dont have good unix skills, I cannot just "go along" and put the latest client software on ... I did wonder if applying 6.5.6 would help (if I can find it !)

Simon