Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup to VTL fast with first tape then slow thereafter

2011-06-09 17:44:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup to VTL fast with first tape then slow thereafter
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:43:51 -0500
Try looking at the BPTM and BPDM logs (T for Tape, D for Disk). I don't know if a VTL will go to TM or DM...I would assume TM since NBU thinks it's a tape still.

Sounds fishy since it changes drastically after the second 'tape' is mounted. Have you searched to see if there is a known issue?

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

nmagsaysay <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

06/09/2011 01:02 PM
Please respond to
<VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>

<VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Netbackup to VTL fast with first tape then slow        thereafter

I'm writing my jobs to VTL then using SLP to get them to LTO5.  I've noticed that when i start a job it jumps right up and the speed is 25MB - 40MB then after the "tape" fills and a second one is "loaded" the KB/Sec drops to 2MB - 4MB and the speed never raises for subsequent "tapes".

However when I write directly to LTO5 the jobs average 40MB - 60MB.  Using an EMC Clarion VTL.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a log in NBU that would indicate these write speed fluctuations?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.