Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Where is my IP hiding?

2011-06-02 11:25:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Where is my IP hiding?
From: Girish Jorapurkar <girishsj AT yahoo DOT com>
To: James Pattinson <james AT pattinson DOT org>, JeffLightner <JLightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:24:55 -0700 (PDT)
NetBackup has been doing hostname lookup caching for quite sometime for now.
But it was only in-memory and, so, restricted to the process. That also meant,
restarting NB services helped to clear the cache.

However, in-memory hostname lookup caching does not help many of the processes
who may be looking up the same name/IP that some other process already did.
Knowing DNS performance to be an issue in many environments, NetBackup
minimized its load on DNS by creating persistent hostname lookup cache.

NetBackup has per-host bp.conf setting VNET_OPTIONS that controls some aspect
of this cache. Running "bptestnetconn -bv" (6.5.6, 7.0.1+, not 7.0) displays
these settings.

NetBackup 7.1 introduced another field in VNET_OPTIONS to disable persistent
hostname lookup cache - for those rare cases that may need it. Note that
disabling persistent hostname lookup cache makes NetBackup perform more DNS
queries - impacting NetBackup performance. What is the exact impact depends on
the environment/setup.

Steps:
- To disable persistent hostname lookup cache, first check if you are using
VNET_OPTIONS (bp.conf/registry). Run "bptestnetconn -b" and look for
VNET_OPTIONS lines in the output.

- If you are already using VNET_OPTIONS, just change/add 11th field set to '1'.

- If you are not using VNET_OPTIONS, run "bptestnetconn -b" to make sure that
no VNET_OPTIONS field appear. Now, add
  VNET_OPTIONS = 120 0 200 40 0 0 0 5 0x701 0 1 0
- Confirm that only the following "new" VNET_OPTIONS field appears in
"bptestnetconn -b" output:
  VNET_OPTIONS (disable file cache)        = 1         [0]

HTH,
/Girish