Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux, libraries and NBU 7.0.1

2011-05-09 20:05:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux, libraries and NBU 7.0.1
From: "Spellacy, Sean" <Sean.Spellacy AT viha DOT ca>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 17:05:19 -0700

Good day Folks

Having some issues with visibility of libraries robots and tape drives on a Redhat Media server. Not being a native ‘nix admin I could use a hand.

Environment:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5), 2.6.9-55.Elsmp

4x HP MSL 6062 Libraries with 2x E1200-320 NSRs and 4x LTO4 a piece

Under

2003r2 x64 Windows master (MSCS cluster) Robot control host, emm, catalog

Shared storage option

Along with

3x 2003r2 x64 media servers (these see all devices)

So on the RH:

All the devices are visible when cat is run against /proc/scsi/scsi

Also if I review the HBA hosts at the emulex HBAcmd all devices are visible.

If I service netbackup stop and run hp_ltt (library tape tools) I see one library vs 4, I see 7 NSRs vs 8, and 12 drives vs 16.

Having the netbackup service and running tpautoconf from the local linux shows the same thing.

Running Device discovery from the NBU console shows the same thing also.

Tpautoconf –report_disc  Shows I have some missing paths that are my robots and a couple of new drives but I am not sure what to make of this as all serial numbers seem to show true to what is existing in the libs. (see below body)

I feel like I am on the cusp of fixing this but I am missing some syntax or bit on knowledge for cleaning this up. Looking at “tpconfig” also but the switch combos there look potentially hostile, though the menu drive looks more friendly.

Your input would be appreciated as to recommended method to proceed in sorting this out.

Thanks in advance

Regards

SSS

Sean Spellacy
Senior Technical Analyst,
IMIT, Backup and AntiVirus
Vancouver Island Health Authority
sean.spellacy AT viha DOT ca

=========== Missing Device or no local control path (Robot) ===========

Defined as robotic TLD(1)

Inquiry = "HP      MSL6000 Series  0520"

Serial Number = 2U2811006D

Robot Path = {3,0,0,0}

Robot Control Host = nbuprod

Drive = 2, Drive Name = Drive009, Serial Number = MXP10204UP

Hosts configured for this device:

  Host = vicnbums03

=========== Missing Device or no local control path (Robot) ===========

Defined as robotic TLD(2)

Inquiry = "HP      MSL6000 Series  0520"

Serial Number = 2U28110089

Robot Path = {3,0,3,0}

Robot Control Host = nbuprod

Drive = 2, Drive Name = Drive014, Serial Number = HU180215PN

Hosts configured for this device:

  Host = vicnbums03

=========== Missing Device or no local control path (Robot) ===========

Defined as robotic TLD(3)

Inquiry = "HP      MSL6000 Series  0520"

Serial Number = 2U2811005E

Robot Path = {2,0,3,0}

Robot Control Host = nbuprod

Drive = 2, Drive Name = Drive007, Serial Number = HU180215U4

Hosts configured for this device:

  Host = vicnbums03

Inquiry = "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  B56W"

Serial Number = HU1041D3MM

Drive Path = /dev/nst4

Inquiry = "HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI  B56W"

Serial Number = HU18051A9K