Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.0 / Windows 2008 R2 / Hyper-V

2011-05-06 15:59:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 5.0 / Windows 2008 R2 / Hyper-V
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 14:59:13 -0500
One of the later 6.5.x patches is what you're looking for. 6.5.5 or 6.5.6, I'm not sure.

The info you are looking for can be found in the OS Compatibility Guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52878&key=15143
It's under "Compatibility Lists" almost at the bottom.

There's also links on that same page at the very, bottom of 5.x documentation.

I'm sure you know, but 5.x is no longer supported. If all you wanted to do was file-level backups (not system state), you may be able to get that accomplished successfully with the 5.x configuration. If the client won't install then you could install the 6.5.x client and it will work. It won't be supported and I highly recommend you upgrade to 6.5 and then 7.x. Before you start the upgrade, read ALL of the documentation on upgrading from 5.x to 6.5. Start here at the 6.5 upgrade portal: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52785

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

mcmonap <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

05/06/2011 10:13 AM
Please respond to
<VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>

<VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  Netbackup 5.0 / Windows 2008 R2 / Hyper-V

Hi, a quick query that I hope an expert can answer quickly and easily and save a netbackup noob from hours of (possibly pointless) internet searches, so...

Can Netbackup v5:
a) backup Windows 2008 R2 servers?
b) backup Windows 2008 R2 servers that are virtualised under Hyper-V hypervisor?
c) backup ADCS (certificate services) for windows 2008 R2?
d) restore(!) the above backups?

I do not know much about Netbackup but I understand this is a relatively old version so I am expecting a pretty negative repsonse.

Finally any pointers to where I might have found this kind of information would be useful, searches on google and within symantec's support site didn't help me much.

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.