Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SQL Sever 2000 backup on Windows 2000 on NetBackup 7.1?

2011-04-14 15:12:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SQL Sever 2000 backup on Windows 2000 on NetBackup 7.1?
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:12:46 -0400

OK – First I know it isn’t supported so please don’t tell me that.

Question:  Despite that lack of support has anyone gotten this working?

Background:  We have a couple of environments that simply can’t be upgraded that run this.   Support shows SQL Server 2000 is supported but only under Windows 2003.   However we are successfully able to do OS backup of these clients using the NBU 6.5.4 client on them (master and media servers are 7.1).   The SQL server backup though is failing with Status 2.

Just for the heck of it I tried telling the policy for this that it was Windows 2003 x86 then x86_64 and even XP (the last on the opinion that it is just as old as Win 2000).   However all of them fail on this.

The MS-Admins indicate on the smaller of these two he can setup a built in SQL Server backup to disk then let the OS backup from NBU catch that disk backup.

However, the other server has nearly a TB and wouldn’t have the space for this.   They also indicate current SQL backups take around 90 hours (with database hot) and they can’t take the downtime to do a cold backup.    If we sent the backup to disk it would have to be to an NFS mount which would be incredibly slow and then we’d still have to backup that NFS mount.   Does  anyone have any other ideas for backing this up?