Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup KMS best practices for passphrases

2011-04-05 17:12:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup KMS best practices for passphrases
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:11:59 -0700
If I were to have my Information Security team provide only one of the
passphrases when setting up the KMS database, which one would it be?

In other words, which one would be required to rebuilt the entire databsae, and
without it I would not be able to re-create any of the keys used by the tape
drives?

We don't want any one person to be able to re-create the database using the
passphrases.

I'm leaning towards the Key Protection key as it seems to tie into all the
other keys, were the Host Master key is only there to protect the Key
Protection key and nothing else.

Am I on the right path here?