Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] iperf settings for best simulating netbackup ?

2011-04-05 09:34:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] iperf settings for best simulating netbackup ?
From: Michael Graff Andersen <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>
To: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:33:56 +0200
Thanks, but sadly that is not option for me

Which is why I is looking at iperf and such

Regards
Michael

2011/4/4 William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>

I have always found that iperf far exceeds the performance with NetBackup, even when as you suggest trying to use similar buffer sizes.

I think you may be better off testing with NetBackup.   You can use the GEN_DATA directives to create data without involving disk read speeds:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75213

you can then create a disk storage unit on the Media Server for your test policy and use the SKIP_DISK_WRITES touch file:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69948

(Beware as that will disable it for all disk backups!)

I have not myself tried this yet….but in theory it will just test the data transfer between the client and media server.

William D L Brown