Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Performance Issue with NB7 on Solaris 10

2011-03-21 13:37:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Performance Issue with NB7 on Solaris 10
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:37:29 +0000
Good Day Mike,

Is the backup with the errors a full backup?

If it happens with full backups you might first look at the client os system.
Are you using 32 or 64 bit os. I can not remember if solaris 10 still support
32 bit.
If 32 bit you might have some addressing issues.

Check the os logs to see if you can spot any errors. Maybe a filesystem is
damaged.

For errors on full or incremental backups turn on netbackup client logging and
see if you can spot the problem.

For errors on incremental backups of a server with many small files that do not
change, you might have a client timeout issue.

The client might be looking at the file system    to     see which file objects
change. But the time to do this before finding a change to ship off to the
backup server can be longer than the timeout.
You might also have to turn on netbackup server side logging. Then check for
timeout messages on the netbackup server logs.
If this is your problem you should be able to fix by increasing the timeout
values. Or only doing full backups of the mail  areas.

Let us know what you find

len