Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Synthetic Full Backup not starting

2011-02-22 14:40:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Synthetic Full Backup not starting
From: ianbutton1 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:14:52 -0500
We have two big fileshares (900GB, 1.5TB, both about 2 million files) that I
recently changed to Synthetic Full backups to speed up backups. [We're on
NetBackup Enterprise 6.5, backing up to disk and then duplicating to tapes].
But every few weeks these SynthFulls just don't start!
A traditional Full works OK (to start off the sequence).
Then daily Differential Incrementals work OK (window 21:00-00:00 Mon-Fri) and
finish about 01:30.
The Synthetic Full window is 00:00 Sat-00:00 Sun, but I see that the job goes
into the Activity monitor queue at 1 second after the Friday evening DiffInc
starts.  A couple of minutes after the Friday DiffInc finishes, the SynthFull
starts, and it goes on about 12 hours - OK when that happens.
But twice in the last couple of months one or both of these SynthFulls just
doesn't even start.  The Friday DiffInc starts & finishes OK, but no SynthFull,
no warnings, no error messages.  Nothing in the bpsynth log directory that day,
no syn_ entries in the bptm log.  It looks as though the Policy Execution
Manager doesn't have the entry in its schedule.  When the SynthFulls run, they
don't gradually start later & later, so it doesn't look like they are losing
the window.
Running another Traditional Full seems to get things going OK again for a few
weeks.
Any ideas, please?  Having to run these large jobs manually, and then
duplicating the images to tape, takes a couple of days and ties up tape drives
that might be needed for restores!
TIA
Ian