Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 7.1

2011-01-25 04:26:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 7.1
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:26:41 +0100
Well I did fire up the beta but I can't really say I had time to discover
anything special.  The items of most interest to me were AIR and the LiveUpdate
being able to do major version upgrades on clients.  I'm nowhere near having
the setup to be able to use either but I can see that they would be very useful
to us if I can.

I would not use AIR for many applications but it might allow us to shift some
applications from needing array-based replication to restore from backup and
still meet RTOs.  That could save a bit of money.  Kind of needs a PureDisk
infrastructure but a pair of Symantec 5000 appliances would drop in nicely.

The LiveUpdate for major versions makes me wish that we had included the
LiveUpdate client in our client builds for 6.5; we took it out as we did not
have time to figure out how to set up the back end LiveUpdate server(s)
required.  It would allow us to upgrade clients from 6 to 7 as required by the
backup team, rather than depending on OS teams who can't grasp the hierarchical
dependence of NetBackup on its servers.   The current LiveUpdate can do point
releases which is nice but not really that exciting.

Of course every new release brings its own problems, reading this group you can
see some versions are good and some create problems for some people - depends
which features you use.  When 6.0 shipped we did not upgrade from 5.1 until
6.5.4 shipped (we aimed at 6.5.2 but slipped...).  We still have hundreds of
5.1 clients.  Will 7.1 be perfect or should you wait for 7.5?  No idea!  But at
some point new OS/Application version support will go only into 7.n, not 6.5.n.

William D L Brown