Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Problem recovering data from set of 32 tapes

2011-01-12 16:38:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Problem recovering data from set of 32 tapes
From: <denverbound AT uku.co DOT uk>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 05:14:13 +0000
Thanks for the reply Jonathan,

I get these errors during the import media action when 'Catalog' is
selected from the left side window of the GUI tree and Initiate Import" is
selected from the topmost 'Action' pull down.

It chugs away, reading and importing data one tape after another and
finishes with the several errors I related earlier.. then when I select
'Import' from the Rt side window, setting 'From' date back to 1/1/2008,
choosing "All media" and hit start it says INF - Found no images matching
the selection criteria that were ready for phase 2 import.

I have no idea why, and it's always copy 1 fragment 1 that either fails to
load or already exists.

If I click the 'Results' tab I see a list of ~30 jpbimport operations most
saying that the 'initiation of Bpdm process to phase 1 import was
successful', and others (4-5) saying that it wasn't successful either due
to protocol error, or because no importable Netbackup images were found in
import path or they already existed.

How can I 'forcibly' delete the corrupt catalog -assuming it is corrupt,
and rebuild a brand new one... or can I?

Do the policies have to be active for import to work? They're all there,
just 'dead' as most were one-offs (plug in the HDD, create a ploicy for the
newly added drive(s) (F; - Z:) back up the data from the new drive(s),
unplug the HD, disable policy) and do another one. Do the policies even
have to be there??

I'm beginning to feel as thoug a total rebuild of the server is in order -
and poss. upgrade to 6x or 7.

The idea was to get the data from all these old and failing floppies, dat
tapes and ancient HDD onto tape. Safely and securely onto tape, but not so
I can't get it off again to put some of it on the new 2Tb drive and play.

I'm talking OLD stuff ;-). TRS-80, Apple, Ohio Scientific, Cromemco,
Arari, Ortona, Epson, Brother, GRiD, ARC, Mac II and Mac Quadra, Findex,
Packard Bell, TCG, TI-99-4A, Sinclair, LNW_80, Northstar, Wang, NCR,
Zenith, Compaq, Houston Instruments, Centronics, Genicom, and on and on ..)

Any help appreciated, send the document or share the URL ;-)