Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SLP ??

2011-01-12 16:36:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SLP ??
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 17:25:46 -0600
I saw that, but is is to me a crude hack. Plus I loose the ability to easily report and check compliance for systems. It doesn't help with tape backups either.

My typical SLP is:

Backup to DD
  Dupe to Tape
Dupe to Alternate site DD

or for systems primary backed up to alternate site:

Backup to Alternate site DD
Dupe to Main site DD
  Dupe to Tape

Keeping track of multi-synths making sure they all completed and duplicating the appropriate copy to tape is very easy to manage and maintain with SLP.

What would be cool is if you could use the multi-synth capability in an SLP like:

Backup to DD
  Dupe to Tape
Multi-synth backup to Alternate site DD from local images - with Opt-Synth if storage supports it.

or for systems primary backed up to alternate site:

Backup to Alternate site DD
Multi-synth backup to Main site DD from local images - with Opt-Synth if storage supports it.
  Dupe to Tape