Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BMR Communications Issue

2011-01-07 09:17:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BMR Communications Issue
From: Renee Carlisle <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:16:51 -0500
Having a communications issue with BMR and I am at a loss as to where to go

Solaris 10 Master server recently upgraded to NBU 7.0.1
        One NIC connected to a backup network
        Recently set up to use DNS due to new requirements with BMR in NBU 7

BMR Boot Server running W2K8R2 with NBU 7.0.1
        Two NICS, one connect to a public network, one connected to a backup
network

BMR test Client running W2K8R2 with NBU 7.0.1

DNS
        Three Windows servers in the DNS environment, two available to the
public network, one available to both the public and backup network.
Since the Master Server is Solaris it is not in the AD domain

Process:

We can successfully create a backup with BMR configuration of the client
We have a W2K8R2 SRT updated to nbu 7.0.1
We take the current configuration and make a copy of it
On the copied configuration we have removed any dns servers that can only talk
to the public network and make sure the only dns server in the configuration is
the one with access to the backup network
We unmmap the public NIC in the configuration so that we guarantee the BMR
communication is going out the backup NIC since that is the only subnet the
Master Server can communicate on
We do a prepare to restore from the new configuration
After the prepare to restore, we have created an ISO image of the SRT using the
new configuration on the boot server
We mount that ISO image to the client
We reboot the client from the ISO and BMR starts.
Once BMR gets to the point of trying to load it's configuration from the master
server it fails with communication issues (Confirmed by support that It is
definitely some sort of communication issue, just not sure what)

Troubleshooting:

From the Master server:

I can run nslookup from the short name, long name, and IP address of itself,
the boot server, and the client successfully
I can ping all components
I can do bpclntcmd commands for all three systems

From the boot server:
I can run nslookup on all systems with the short name, long name and ip address
I can ping all components
Have not run bpclntcmd commands....but I don't even think this systems is
involved at this point.

Have not run anything from the client itself yet, but backups are successful
and when it is doing BMR it is on a mini-root environment, so not even sure
what troubleshooting from the client I should do.

So basically what I am looking for is, if I KNOW that it is a communication
issue...and backups work...what other communication troubleshooting steps can I
take and from what system to see where my problem is?  Thanks for the help.

Reneé Carlisle