Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup media server question

2011-01-06 11:16:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup media server question
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:16:22 -0700
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM, bfcsaus
<netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question regarding configuration of a Netbackup Media Unix
> server.
>
> Basically, I have an underlying issue with the presentation of a zoned ADIC
> tape drive to a Solaris 10, T5220 media server which im currently working on
> (if anyone knows how to get Solaris to see the zoned tape drive please
> shout!!), in the meantime I would like to know what I should be seeing when I
> do an sgscan on the media server itself (at the moment I only see the disks)
> when the problem is resolved.

Sorry.  I'm more an hpux guy.

> Ive installed plenty of Master servers where I know I should see the tape
> drive and changer but should I be able to see both the tape drive and changer
> from the Media server or just the tape drive??

This all depends on the zoning.  If what you zoned to the media server
includes the changer, then you will see it.  It will have nothing to
do with NBU.  It really isn't a problem if your system sees the
changer.  It's generally best to only have one server control the
changer.  If this library is shared with your master or something
else, let it handle the changer.

> The Storage Team has zoned the ADIC tape drive to the server which ive
> confirmed (correct WWN) although I can't see the drive but should they also
> do anything with the changer??

Is it possible your media server doesn't have the proper drivers or
kernel parameters set to recognize the drives?  When you do things
like the sgscan does it show you any generic or unknown devices?  For
that matter make sure your system is happy with the FC cards or
whatever you are connecting with.  You can often scan that particular
bus to see if there are any devices there.

Jeff

> Thanks...

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator