Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backups fail with Netbackup status 245 - Solved

2010-12-16 11:23:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backups fail with Netbackup status 245 - Solved
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:23:47 -0500

Just posting this for list posterity as I didn’t see much in search (mostly about 245 on Informix).

We’re running NBU 6.5x and this morning I saw an RMAN archive log backup that runs at night as well as the man RMAN database backup we run starting at 9 AM both failed with status code 245.   Interestingly the detail for both jobs had almost no information and didn’t even allow me to see what a 245 was.

A web search shows this issue for Informix (from 2004) but not for Oracle RMAN.

Running “bperror -statuscode 245” displayed:

the specified policy is not of the correct client type

A user backup specified a policy that is not the type that is required for the client.

Running “bperror -jobid 632020” which is one of the failed jobs didn’t help much as it only displayed:

1292508052 1 66 4 atubks01 632020 -1 0 *NULL* nbpem CLIENT ralpha  POLICY RALPH-DB-ORA  SCHED Full-Offsite  EXIT STATUS 245 (the specified policy is not of the correct client type)

On checking the two policies I found that both had policy as “Standard” instead of “Oracle”.    Yesterday my co-worker had tried to do a mass change to move policies from one of our data domain units to another.   One of the unintended consequences of what he did was it reactivated many of our deactivated policies.   My theory is that it also changed the policy type from Oracle to Standard on these two policies as they were among the ones moved.

Jeff Lightner | UNIX/Linux Administrator | DS Waters of America, Inc | 5660 New Northside Drive, Ste 250 | Atlanta, GA 30328
(: (Direct Dial) 770-486-3516 |(: (Cell) 678-772-0018 *:jlightner AT water DOT com