Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RHEL 6 and NetBackup 6.5 and 7.0

2010-12-06 06:17:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RHEL 6 and NetBackup 6.5 and 7.0
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:15:32 +0100

I’ve just tested our 6.5.6 Client kit against RHEL6 and it installs and runs fine.  As others have noted before for RHEL5 it does require a couple of 32-bit libraries to be installed.  I do find it mildly curious that the client binary is 32-bit when at NetBackup 7 it has to be 64-bit without the option.  I’ve not looked at the server kit, nor fancy stuff like SAN Client, FT Media Server.

I’d agree that so long as you do not *use* new file system features there may be no problem.  Of course I’ve no idea what Symantec will put in their compatibility matrix, but they would be unpopular if they only provide support in 7.n

I would not say that the Admins are anxious to use it, but they are anxious to be ready to use it when someone holds a gun to their head and says “we told the business that they can have it next week” J.  It’s always best to be forewarned if there is going to be a major hold-up.

William D L Brown