Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] A Heads-Up for anyone using OST with Data Domain

2010-11-09 13:31:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] A Heads-Up for anyone using OST with Data Domain
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:30:58 -0600

Under NFS clients on our DD670’s we noticed that /backup/ost was shared out to * and as we’re trying to eliminate shares that are wide open (and we were under the misconception that OST was it’s own protocol unassociated with NFS) we deleted the share.  BOOM !!... all backups to OST storage units instantly start to fail.

DO NOT REMOVE THIS NFS SHARE !!

If you do, don’t try and use the admin guide to re-add it because they have the syntax printed incorrectly.  In order to get it back in with the correct permissions do the following…

nfs add /backup/ost (insecure)

Hope this saves someone the 2 hours we just wasted trying to work out the mess we’d caused ourselves !!

Mark Glazerman

Enterprise Storage Administrator

Spartech Corporation

Desk: 314-889-8282

Fax: 314-854-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com

http://www.spartech.com

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.