Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FYI on File Exclude Lists

2010-10-07 10:57:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FYI on File Exclude Lists
From: waynecierkowski <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 10:57:53 -0400
I just had Symantec Support confirm that File List Exclusions broke at the
6.5.6 level of code when backing up a MS Cluster via the Virtual Client Name.

We currently have in each clients exclude list *.mdf, *.ndf and *.ldf to
exclude all SQL database files. This would have gone un-noticed if it was not
for our DBA who created some 1.8 TB of additional SQL databases on this specfic
client of the cluster. The client was upgraded in the last month or two to the
7.0 level. One day I happened to notice the the backup for this client was
taking longer the normal to backup. I looked into it and noticed a ton of SQL
Database files contained in the Windows based backups. Symantec did the
troubleshooting on the issue and discovered that Client side exclude lists were
OK at the 6.5.5 level of code but stopped to function when the client was
upgraded to 6.5.6. I was able to confirm that a client at 7.0 and 7.0.1 level
of code also had the problem.

Just an FYI...