Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] D2D or Tape Libraries

2010-10-07 08:52:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] D2D or Tape Libraries
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 08:33:52 -0400
When I went from tape on my telephone answering machine I had some misgivings, due mostly to "flexibility" of  flipping the tape when full and fixed size storage.

I've wanted a D2D2D backup system for several years and have been enjoying the one we now have for several months.  Like any other IT system, expandability, applicability, operations cost and vendor support are important.    Non-compressible data worries me, as does what we'll do in 4-5 years when the devices go out of support.

OST good.  Dedup on way in good.  Getting vendors and VARs to talk backup without tape was the biggest problem, but that's mostly a history lesson now.  ;-)

Cheers, Wayne