Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] bpbackup and socket read error (23)

2010-10-06 00:11:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] bpbackup and socket read error (23)
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 00:11:41 -0400
This sounds like a problem opening a connection from the client to the NetBackup server.

On client and master/media servers (I assume you use the default "vnetd", port 13724, method and FQDN):
  1. Test forward and reverse DNS for servers and client.  If multiple IP addresses, adjust NBU config.  I tell people to use lower case DNS names, even if it should work otherwise.
  2. Verify firewall exceptions to allow connections in AND out.
Restart the NetBackup Client Service.  Because it's Windows, reboot to ensure 6.5.6 is really installed.  But, again, I'm guessing a telnet to the NetBackup server(s) on port 13724 will fail until you resolve the problem.

Properly doing these things has always worked for me, but the next step for me would be to turn on NetBackup logging to see exactly where the problem is, while verifying connections/rejections are seen on each side.

Cheers, Wayne