Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FlashBU and HP EVA 6400 Arrays

2010-09-29 14:00:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FlashBU and HP EVA 6400 Arrays
From: "Simon Weaver" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 18:57:03 +0100
Hi All
It appears I have hit a snag with FlashBackups and the HP EVA6400 that majority of our servers have SAN disks connect to.

Firstly, does anyone use FlashBackups and EVA6400 Enterprise Array systems?

It appears that when doing FlashBackups, they are 10 times slower than SAN Based Backups.

In the Admin guide, I came across restrictions, and one of them mentions a pointer towards non support of HSM.

I am sort of guessing that although I have SAN Disks presented, they are in fact Virtual Disks and FBU's cannot really handle them!

Which starts to beg the question - For large TB's sized volumes with lots of files, what other options are open to me from a NBU view!

Be interested to hear anyones comments, especially if they have tried to use FBU with this system!

Simon