Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL Recommendations

2010-09-27 19:45:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL Recommendations
From: "Marelas, Peter" <Peter.Marelas AT team.telstra DOT com>
To: "ccosta.ccc AT gmail DOT com" <ccosta.ccc AT gmail DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:45:18 +1000
The VTL interface has been superseded by OST based devices and NetBackup's own
disk staging technologies.

If I were to start again I would take a serious look at the disk and
deduplication options available in NetBackup's 7.x.

NetBackup 7.x now converges three technologies:

1/ deduplication at client
2/ deduplication at media server
3/ deduplication at disk target

This convergence is tightly integrated across the NetBackup suite.

Once you start introducing a mix of technologies in the backup data path the
solution because less efficient.

Regards
Peter Marelas