Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] need help with mass tape copy

2010-09-23 20:24:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] need help with mass tape copy
From: Mark Phillips <Mark.Phillips AT unisa.edu DOT au>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:54:08 +0930
I had to do something similar when migrating from DLT/LTO1 to LTO3/LTO4.
The tapes were mostly end of year backups that were in separate volume pools so
I was able to compartmentalise the duplications into bite size chunks of 20 to
30 tapes.
I used the same media server to do the read from old tapes and write to new
tapes.

As Ed said you duplicate images and not physical media, so the first task is to
work out which images are on the tapes you want to duplicate.
We're running Linux/Solaris and as such the utilities are from Unix but the
Windows master/media servers will have the same NetBackup commands at the
command line and equivalent utilities, here's the guts of a script I wrote to
do the job...

        i="<mediaid1> <mediaid2>........"
        for i in $i
                do bpimmedia -mediaid $i | grep IMAGE | awk '{print
"bpduplicate -dstunit <storage_unit> -dp <target_volume_pool>", $4, ">>
duplicate.log 2>&1"}' >> outfile
        done
        sort outfile | uniq > outfile_exec

this will give you a list of commands in the 'outfile_exec' that, when
executed, will duplicate images on the list of media to the target volume pool
and output the results to a log file, so that you can check the results of the
duplications and retry any images that weren't successfully duplicated.

Once everything has been duplicated don't forget to make the new copy the
primary copy, using either bpduplicate or bpimage.