Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Reintroduce Expired Image

2010-08-04 11:41:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Reintroduce Expired Image
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:40:58 -0400
Regarding your request and the responses, some thoughts:

If you HAVE to HAVE the DATA...

1. immediately FREEZE ALL SCRATCH TAPES AND/OR MOVE THEM to an unused pool - so
you don't overwrite the tapes. You will need to leave them there until you find
the tape. Restoring the catalog from a week ago should allow you to search it -
but turn off cleanup process or it will just clean it out...

2. make sure when you reimport the image - you update the retention, I had a
funny experience where another tech was importing an image that was expired,
and he kept the two week retention - it is based on the original backup date,
so his copies kept expiring as soon as a cleanup job ran! For a temporary task,
use infinite retention and a temp tape (disk is better) and manually expire it
once it is restored. Better yet, throw it on a one year retention and keep it -
you never know...

Why you might NOT want to restore it!

1. explain what "retention policy" is to your customer! You should have a
documented one! Perhaps it needs to be redefined and extended.

2. When you reimport an expired image - you are voiding your retention policy -
which is your legal obligation to maintain images. Be prepared to explain why
you have this one extended image, and not the ones the lawyers are requesting.
My understanding is once you start the import process, you may be required to
reimport ALL your scratch tapes during a litigation.

Message: 5