Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Shadow Copy Components failing!

2010-07-17 11:42:49

Hi Sachin

This is my understanding,

The Shadow copy components/system state backups for current windows systems always use vss for the backup.

The Shadow copy components/system state backups are a two stage process. The first stage backups up the components to files written to the system drive. The second stage has netbackup backing up the files created in stage 1.

The 71 error is because the first stage failed to write out the files that the second stage backup was looking for.

To find the problem look at the windows system and app event logs to find the vss and other windows errors related to the backup.

Another method is to try to do a Shadow copy components/system state backup using the built in windows backup command. If that backup fails then you know that netbackup has nothing to do with the problem. You can have ntbackup write the backup data to disk, so it should be easy to set up the test.

If you have not done so you might want to look for any pending vss patches and dcom patches. Most of them are in the latest fix pack for windows. If your level of windows has a fix pack.

We found that we had problems with windows boot volumes that were netapp luns if certain rules were not followed and vss used the netapp hardware provider feature for vss.

Let us know how this works out for you.

len