Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Nbu 7.0

2010-07-15 08:07:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Nbu 7.0
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "JC Cheney" <joseph_cheney AT symantec DOT com>, "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:06:31 -0400

As to not running on CentOS – The only thing I know of off the top of my head that blows up on install is Oracle products but that is simply because they put a routine in that tells it which OSes they’re allowed to run on.   You can certainly run Oracle products on CentOS (unsupported by Oracle of course) by simply tweaking the file that stores which OSes are allowed OR by modifying the /etc/redhat-release file to make it say it is one of the supported RedHat versions.

Of course in my post I did also say that running CentOS as your master server is a bad idea even if you could make it run due to support issues.

I’d disagree with what you say about the release cycle of CentOS – since its releases are tied to RHEL’s it has the same release cycle (delayed somewhat).   However, I’m not suggesting it should be supported by Symantec or any other vendor.

Here we run RHEL for 95% of our Linux needs (and 100% of our Production Linux needs).   We have CentOS and Debian installs for very specific one off systems or workstations.   It is fine to say to the user “it might work, but it will be unsupported” but to try to pretend there is some inherent badness in other distros as opposed to RHEL isn’t appropriate in my view.   I know of one Atlanta based cable network that runs Ubuntu/MySQL for most of what they do in the Linux arena (including web servers) where they formerly ran HP-UX (UNIX).  The folks there wouldn’t be caught dead running RHEL or any RPM based distro.