Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Recover - DR

2010-06-11 19:21:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Catalog Recover - DR
From: <mikemclain AT northwesternmutual DOT com>
To: <ccosta.ccc AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:21:32 -0500

Chris,

What I have done for similar DR tests (when recovering the entire catalog) is edit the hosts file on the master server and add the media servers as aliases to a master or media server that you will be running at the DR site.     In the end, NBU is trying to communicate with the media servers and/or resolve certain hostnames via DNS and is timing out while doing so and causing your performance issues.        Also, I find it helpful to scan the bprd and bpcd logs looking for hostnames that NBU is trying to find/resolve and then adding them in there as well.

If nothing shows up in those logs and you are still having performance issues, you can also check for rogue hostnames in the Vx logs via:   vxlogview –p 51216 –t 00:10:00

Sample hosts update:

/etc/hosts

10.10.1.1  nbmaster   nbmaster.domain.com        nbmedia1   nbmedia2   nbmedia3

If that doesn’t fix it, then run the “nbemmcmd –listhosts” command and add the master or media server hostname as an alias for the media servers and ndmp hosts listed.

nbemmcmd -machinealias

Usage:

nbemmcmd -machinealias [-brief] [-emmname <string>] [-emmport <unsigned integer>]

    [-addalias -alias <string> -machinename <string>]

    [-deletealias -alias <string>]

    [-deleteallaliases -machinename <string>]

    [-getaliases -machinename <string>]

    -machinetype <api | app_cluster | client | cluster | disk_array | master | media | ndmp | server | virtual_machine>

HTH

 -Mike