Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup media server and Sun Coolthread Servers

2010-06-04 09:29:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup media server and Sun Coolthread Servers
From: "David Magda" <dmagda AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>
To: "Asiye Yigit" <asiye.yigit AT gantek DOT com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:29:16 -0400
On Fri, June 4, 2010 08:03, Asiye Yigit wrote:

> do you have any experience about netbackup media servers on Sun
> Coolthread servers?
>
> I am wondering how netbackup perform well on Coolthread servers?
>
> Which one do you recommend between Mx000 and CoolThread servers?

All of our recent NetBackup server purchases have been T5120s. They run
just fine. We aggregate the four GigE NICs via dladm(1M) for extra
bandwidth (round-robin at the L4 layer). Plug in dual HBAs and you'll have
plenty of bandwidth both in and out.

The CPU comes with on-die dual 10 GigE if you really want network
bandwidth, but you'll be taking up a PCIe slot for each interface. So if
you want many HBAs (and not just one dual-ported HBA) you many need a
T5220 which has more PCIe slots.

Personally I think the T-series would be better than the M-series, as you
want parallelism for multiple I/O streams, and that's what the CoolThreads
servers were designed to handle: parallelism. AFAIK, the M-series is more
about single-thread performance (we have a few for some of our Oracle DB
stuff).