Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Socket write failures on Windows 2000 clients

2010-06-03 11:49:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Socket write failures on Windows 2000 clients
From: "Matteson, Ryan" <Ryan.Matteson AT relayhealth DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:49:29 -0400

Howdy,

I have one Windows 2000 server where backups keep failing with status code 24 (socket write failed). The backups will run fine for a period of time, and then randomly fail after a random amount of data has been backed up (I have not seen any patterns with the files or amount of data backed up). I've checked various things on the host and network switches:

1. Made sure speed/duplex settings match

2. Checked for errors on the switch

3. Reviewed the event log to see if anything is fishy

4. Used the Symantec sas tool to verify the connection is clean

5. Changed cables and switch ports

6. Applied all of service packs and updates to the Windows 2000 host

7. Verified our NIC drivers are current

All of the items listed above didn't help, and I'm still getting 24s randomly during the backups. Has anyone encountered any issues with Windows 2000 server that could cause 24s to occur? The media, master and client are all running Netbackup 6.5.5, and we are running Solaris 10 with the latest patches on our servers.

Thanks for any insight,
- Ryan