Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media write error 84

2010-05-26 15:32:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media write error 84
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 14:32:12 -0500
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com> wrote:
So I kicked off the unix_nightly policy during the day and all 16 hosts
succeeded with no failures. Makes me wonder if the DSSU is being
overloaded at night?

An 84 on a DSSU is a physical disk error - somewhere in your transport chain or the raid controllers or disk drives, you're getting an error.  I've seen it when a fibre ISL was being driven at 2Gbps when the distance and fibre type mandated that it only be run at 1Gbps - that took me a while to find.  It can be bad RAID controller firmware.  Check everything from beginning to end and see if you can narrow it down.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org