Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VSP making server hung.

2010-05-20 12:28:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VSP making server hung.
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "pranav batra" <pranav_venture AT hotmail DOT com>, "Veritas" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:27:32 -0400

The Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is a Microsoft product that is built into Windows (2003+). It functions similarly to the Veritas Snapshot Provider (VSP) in that it allows you to backup open files on a volume.  VSS is recommended for 2003, but both should function.  I would try the following.

1 – run chkdsk /f on the drive with the issue, disk corruption can kill a shadow copy

2 – reinstall the NetBackup client and Maintenance Pack (reboot if requested)

3 – Make sure there is enough free space on the drive you are writing the vsp cache too (configured on master server)

VSP has known issues in older versions of NetBackup. That vsp_cache file is a known issue if a backup fails unexpectedly.  You can use process explorer to release the handle and delete it manually, or manually delete it after rebooting.

-Jonathan