Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck

2010-05-17 11:58:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:57:43 -0500

Jeff,

I can only really comment on your last question about using expired RMAN images for restores if they are not expired in NetBackup.  We had a similar issue a few weeks back where Netbackup could still see images in its catalog of oracle backups (which initiate a RMAN backup via the oracle_backup.sh script) but RMAN had already expired them inside its own catalog.  These files were not recoverable by RMAN.  We had the DBA’s set their retention inside RMAN to match the retention specified inside NBU so that we don’t see this mis-match again.

Ultimately, RMAN controls the expiration of the images inside its catalog meaning that regardless of the expiration you set for oracle backups inside NBU, RMAN will keep or expire those images, regardless of what Netbackup is trying to tell it.  I don’t know how you’d configure RMAN to handle your vaulting needs.  Would setting the expiration of these images in RMAN to the longest required length of time (4 months for example) mean that the vaulted images would still be good for the max time they’d need to be held on either the Data Domain or tape ?  The Netbackup catalog doesn’t need to know about the RMAN images for them to still be recoverable by RMAN so you could set a different, shorter expiration inside NBU although this would still leave you with different retentions in the two different catalogs

FYI The solaris client we were trying to restore these RMAN images to is running 6.5.4 with a 7.0 master and media server.

Mark Glazerman

Desk: 314-889-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to