Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Large SAP backup problem

2010-05-05 20:34:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Large SAP backup problem
From: Harpreet SINGH <harpreet_singh AT ctl.creative DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 08:34:03 +0800
Hi,

As per your database size, I think the backup through put is too slow.

I am doing Oracle database backup  i.e. BCV backup from FC disk. I am
getting an average backup through put from 80-95mb/sec.

My Netbackup Client backup speed is also about to 50mb/Sec

With Warm Regards
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Harpreet Singh Chana

Phone  :     (O) 6895 - 4326
Fax       :     (O) 6895 - 4991
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Notice
privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient,  any disclosure,  copying or distribution of the message,  or
any action taken by you in reliance on it,  is prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you have received this message in error,  please delete it
and contact the sender immediately.  Thank you.

             luciano prata
             <netbackup-forum@
             backupcentral.com                                          To
             >                         VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU

             veritas-bu-bounce
             s AT mailman.eng DOT aub
Subject
             urn.edu                   [Veritas-bu]  Large SAP backup
                                       problem

             05/06/2010 02:36
             AM

             Please respond to
             VERITAS-BU@MAILMA
             N.ENG.AUBURN.EDU

Hello,

I have a problem with one backup, this backup now have more than 10 Tb,
it’s a SAP base backup, my problem is because this backup take more than 36
hours to finish, the throughput is not bad, its do 4 jobs with 15Mb/s per
job totally 60Mb/s but my backup window is only 13 hours for 06:00 PM to
07:00 AM and I don’t know what I have to do to take this backup more fast.
Below the description for my environment.

I have one NBU master Server Solaris and 3 media servers with NBU 6.5.2 in
all servers and clients.

One media solaris attached to a SL500 library with 7 drives
One media solaris attached to the same SL500 and a VTL with 24 virtual
drives
One media AIX attached to a VTL with 48 virtual drives

The AIX media server is on a P595 and these is the same machine than the
server I need to backup, there is a Shared Ethernet Adapter controlled by a
Virtual IO server to shared all the network card for this P595 to create
the backup network.

I tested these backup with all the media servers, VTL and SL500 and it’s
the same throughput.
I tested with 2 jobs, 4 jobs, 9 jobs and it’s the same throughput.
Tested multiplexing, the same throughput.
Online and offline backups, the same throughput.

I have a SAP client to do this backup, and I think the AIX media server is
the best to do this because it’s the same machine, and my question is,
there is other way to do this backup more fast?

Thanks,

Atenciosamente,
Luciano Prata
Analista de Backup