Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to freeze an unassigned tape

2010-04-20 13:14:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to freeze an unassigned tape
From: <tim.lane AT accenture DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:12:48 +0200

Hi,

I have a set of tapes that contain an important backup.  The backup has expired, but the tapes haven’t been over-written, and I intend to “bpimport” them at a future time.

In the meantime I want to freeze the tapes, but trying to freeze an unassigned tape produces the message “requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database”.

I thought I could assign the tapes with “vmquery -assignbyid <media_id> <media_type> <pool_number> <status> <assigntime>” and then do the freeze, but although the tapes get assigned (status 0 in “vmquery”) they still can’t be frozen.

Any suggestions?  (Solaris 5.9, NetBackup 5.1MP6, one master/media server, three further media servers all sharing the same drives with SSO).

Many thanks,

Tim Lane.