Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Nic Utilization

2010-04-08 16:33:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Nic Utilization
From: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:33:34 -0500
I had a question about how everyone else utilizes the NICs inside your
master and media servers.

I have 1 master and 2 media. Like most systems these days, I have 3-4
NICs in each one. The administrator that setup our existing environment
plumbed 1 NIC per machine, and the other NICs sit there, completely
unused. At night, when our backup are running, it isn't unheard of for
the NICs on all three machine to reach a high utilization level.

This got me to thinking. I've read that you can set an option in the
bp.conf file and have various clients backup to different interfaces on
the same physical master and/or media server, but I've never actually
deployed that feature. I've also heard of a technology called Link
Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) that allows you to tie multiple NICs
together to increase the total bandwidth into your server.

Does anyone else employ these technologies?
Does everyone else just plumb one NIC and let the backups trickle in as
fast as the LAN allows?
Is there other aggregation technology out there that folks are using to
utilize and squeeze more bandwidth out of those unused NICs?

Thanks.

- Heathe Kyle Yeakley