Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

2010-04-07 10:25:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:24:57 -0400
> > > I am trying to run NDMP backups with certain
> > > paths and I am getting error 99 in the GUI,
> > > and the error ndmp_data_start_backup failed,
> > > status = 9 (NDMP_ILLEGAL_ARGS_ERR).
> > > [...]
> > > Backup Selections:
> > > [...]
> > > /vol/vol2/data/[A-M]*
> > > [...]

> > Unfortunately (to my knowledge), wildcards are
> > not supported with NDMP backups.  You?ll have to
> > explicitly supply the paths.  What

> Thanks Jonathan.  That is fantastic news?
>
> Anyone know if that will change or has changed with version 7?

This should be an NDMP/filer issue, not anything to do with the
backup vendor.  NetBackup (or any NDMP DMA) doesn't produce that
error; it only passes it back from the NDMP server.

NDMP_ILLEGAL_ARGS_ERR is part of the NDMP spec (more than you want
to know at www.ndmp.org) and it is returned (for many things, but in
this case:) if the NDMP implementation doesn't accept the backup
type or variables in an NDMP_DATA_START_BACKUP request.  BlueArc
filers accept asterisk wildcards; some filers accept them in certain
places, other NDMP implementations don't accept them at all.  Same
thing for accepting directory versus file paths.  Isolon accepts all
sorts of wildcards and environment variables and a bunch of
environment variables....

Did you RTFM?  There's a NetBackup Administrator's Guide for NDMP
for every release which tells you how to configure a policy, and has
a link to the vendor-specific NDMP guide
(http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267773).